- What to Know:
- Open Chromebook > Circle-shaped Icon on the bottom left > App Launcher
- Go to Files > Choose the File you want to delete.
- Right-click on the file > Delete.
- You can also select the file and then click the trash can icon on the top bar to delete it.
Is your laptop filled up with files, and you need to free up some space?? You can delete the unnecessary files so that you can download some important files. Deleting files is a simple process in every operating system, but in Chromebook, there are a few issues.
There is no recycle bin, so it will permanently delete anything you delete. Sometimes you may face difficulty deleting files and images because they are read-only but don’t worry about it. We have a solution for that too. Read the article to the end to know everything in detail.
How to Delete all Files From Chromebook
To delete files on your Chromebook, you need to start your laptop and search for the files. In the Chromebook, you’ll see these different options by which you can sort out the files.
The first is the recent files that you have downloaded. The second is play files that have the files or apps downloaded from the play store, and the third is the file type.
To delete those files from any folder in your Chromebook, follow these steps:
- Start your Chromebook and click on the circle-shaped icon on the left bottom.
- It will open the App Launcher where all the apps remain.
- Navigate to Files apps and tap on it. Inside here, you will see all the files that exist on your laptop.
- Now there are four ways by which you can delete these files.
- The first is by right-clicking on the files and then pressing the Delete option from the drop-down menu.
- The second way is by tapping on the file and pressing the Trash icon that appears on the top bar.
- The third is selecting all the files you want to delete by dragging on them and then press Delete from the keyboard.
- The last method is selecting all the files you want to delete and then press the shortcut keys ALt+BACKSPACE to delete the files and images.
- After the end of each step, a prompt will ask for permission to delete the file. Click Ok on everyone, and your file will be permanently deleted.
How do I Clear Recent Files on Chromebook
The files in the recent cannot be cleared or deleted because those files become read-only or view only in this tab. You can view details, perform other functions, but the Delete option will be greyed out because you cannot perform the function there.
To clear or delete the recent files from Chromebook, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to Files app inside the App Launcher and sort out all the files according to recent.
- It will show all the files that have been recently installed and downloaded on the laptop.
- When you right-click on the files, you won’t see the Delete option.
- In this case, you need to locate the folder in which this file exists. You can check that by clicking on the Get info option.
- When you know where the file is, go to that folder and right-click on the file. Now you can see the delete option.
- Click on it, and the file will be permanently deleted. You can also delete these files by any of the four methods mentioned above.
So that’s it. The Chromebook doesn’t have a recycle bin, unlike the Windows and Mac operating systems. Make sure you want to delete the file as you won’t be able to access them ever again unless you already have a backup.
If you still face any issues while deleting the files or images, as I have seen dozens of people complaining about it, you can comment down below again, and we’ll make sure to solve your problems.